Sunday, March 20, 2011

cooking up a storm

The weather here this Sunday was, shall we say, less than desirable.  So I spend a few hours in the kitchen cooking up batches of food for caleb.

I have always made his food and really enjoy it, but I have never blogged about it.  It is sooo easy to do and just takes a little organization and time.  I had so much food that I was going to make that I had steamers on the stove as well as my Beaba going on the counter.  I also had 2 food processors going to speed things up.

We have an organic delivery service for our fruit and produce, it's really awesome.  I love Thursdays because that's when we get our box and it's like Christmas.  We get it delivered to B's work so we know that someone will be there to get the box each week.  All of caleb's food is organic.  I eat that way, and want him to as well.   It's of the utmost importance to me that we eat organic and use non toxic products in our home and on our bodies.  I can talk about this forever since it's a huge passion of mine, but I won't.

I ended up making Caleb:   peas, green beans, apples, mango, carrot apple pear blend, avocado, and acorn squash.

 This is a typical box for us.  We recently upped to a bigger size and it will come every other week
 First wash and peel the carrots, apples, and pears.  Cut up and add to steamer basket for about 15. min.
I




 Add the steamed food to the processor and use the cooking liquid to thin out the puree in the processor as you puree it.
 This is consistency that I go for, a thick cream texture
 I bought a ton of these individual freezer containers, bpa free of course
I also have one of these silicone food cube trays from Annabel Karmel that makes it a cinch to pop out after freezing the puree, and place into zip bags like the one below
  
You don't need to have a Beaba like we have to do all of this.  I actually like making the food using a pot and steamer basket and a big food processor because I can make a ton more at one time than I ever could with the Beaba.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for the nice comment :-)